Here is your starting point. Join us for our Durham No Boundaries 5K Training program brought to you by RunStrong Strength of Choice Fitness & Sports Performance! We are so excited to have them on board as our sponsor for the Summer 2017 season. As a participant you'll be able to add beneficial strength training to your running and walking! This group is excellent for avoiding injury, staying accountable to your training plan and having fun while running and walking! Sign up today!
No Boundaries focuses on beginners, but all levels of walkers and runners are welcome. The program is structured to help you cross the finish line of your first race in just 10 weeks! It can also help existing runners meet new performance goals. Along the way we'll provide you with motivation to keep you moving, guidance and advice, weekly group training runs or walks, and educational clinics on topics such as proper nutrition, choosing the right gear, and avoiding injury. Plus, you'll have the camaraderie of others just like you!
The Program meets twice a week during the training period, once on a weeknight and once on Saturday mornings. The workouts will last about an hour to an hour and a half as we increase mileage throughout the season.
The Summer program will start May 3rd at 7 pm at Fleet Feet Durham. Join us for an information session April 26th at 7 pm at Fleet Feet Durham.
Here is breakdown of our participant groups:
- NOBO 1 – Program for runners and walkers who want to work up to the distance and build endurance for the race.
- Group 1 – Participants who are hoping to walk the distance
- Group 2 – Participants who are hoping to introduce running into their routine
- Group 3 – Participants who are hoping to run/walk the distance
- Group 4 – Participants who are hoping to run the distance
More Program Information:
We find lots of great places to run and walk in our community - on bike paths, areas with sidewalks, the American Tobacco Trail, etc. Occasionally, we’ll hold a workout at a local track (such as the Duke or a High School tracks) to mix up our workouts. All location information will be shared with you each week in our Program Newsletters, on our private Facebook group, and can also be found on our Fleet Feet Calendar. The workouts will last about an hour to an hour and a half as we increase mileage throughout the season. In addition to the workouts there are educational clinics, motivational speakers, on-site physical therapists through ATI Physical Therapy and Pivot Physical Therapy, nutrition tips from local nutritionists and expert coaching/mentoring to help inspire and motivate you on this training journey.
What to expect at our Workouts:
Each week will have a slightly different focus - breathing, form, nutrition, etc. Below is an example workout and how our weekly topics are discussed during the training:
- Weekly Topic (Mini-Form Clinic, Nutrition Sampling, Product Demonstration)
- Find your pace groups
- Group Dynamic Warmup
- Prescribed route for the day - you'll have turn by turn directions if necessary and mentors leading your group
- Optional Cool down stretching with your group
- Sometimes we'll hold a clinic following the workout, if we don't do it before.
Run/Walk Interval Running:
There are many benefits to using a run/walk method in your training. We encourage beginning runners to start using a Run/Walk interval in our No Boundaries Beginner 5K training programs - it's a great way to get started. But using a Run/Walk interval is not just for beginners - it’s an excellent tool to help you build endurance and help you cross the finish line of your next race. Some of the benefits include:
- Decreased chance of injury. The run-walk method causes less wear and tear on the body, decreasing the chance of injuries. Continuous use of muscle will result in fatigue much quicker. This method will allow a runner to go farther and/or longer before fatigue sets in.
- Quicker recovery. With less wear and tear on the body also come quicker recover after a run.
- Breaks up distances into manageable units. Running is as much mental as it is physical – especially when you get into the distance races. Using the run-walk intervals will help with those long distances. Running 3 miles just seems impossible. But breaking it down by running for a set number of minutes, it’s much more manageable.
- Motivating for new runners. This method allows just about anyone to run any race they want. It doesn’t matter your age, weight, gender, or physical ability. You can be a runner. As you start off slow, you can work your way up to running for a longer amount of time and having fewer walk breaks.
Interested Running for a different purpose this season? Consider fundraising while training. You do all the hard work of running and your friends and family can support your efforts!
- Use the power of running to make a difference in the life of a girl: become a Girls on the Run SoleMate! You’ll be able to achieve your personal dream of running a 5k, half or full marathon, while making a positive impact on the lives of hundreds of girls across the Triangle. 100% of all donations contributed through SoleMates goes directly to helping fund GOTR scholarship recipients! For more information email Ronnie Bower (Ronnie@gotrtriangle.org) or sign up online!
Durham No Boundaries & RunStrong Beginner 5K Training More Info »
May 3rd, 7 pm
Wednesdays at 7 pm and Saturday mornings at 8 am
Four on the Fourth
$100 excluding race fee
No Boundaries focuses on beginners, but all levels of walkers and runners are welcome. The program is structured to help you cross the finish line of your first race in just 10 weeks! It can also help existing runners meet new performance goals. Along the way we’ll provide you with motivation to keep you moving, guidance and advice, weekly group training runs or walks, and educational clinics on topics such as proper nutrition, choosing the right gear, and avoiding injury. Plus, you’ll have the camaraderie of others just like you!